Welcome to the Beta Chapter of Alpha Delta Chi! We are a group of Christian women dedicated to serving the Lord and living in fellowship with our sisters.
Alpha Delta Chi Beta chapter started at the University of Berkeley in 1929 and was rechartered in 1979. We are proud to provide a Christ-centered sisterhood whose mission is to encourage others in their walk with Christ.
The goals of Alpha Delta Chi are to provide spiritual, social, and scholastic support to our sisters across the nation. What was founded in 1925 on the campus of UCLA has developed into a nationwide sorority that has touched the lives of countless women on over 20 college campuses. We hope you enjoy your visit to our online home; read below to learn more about our Sisterhood.
Aims & Purposes
To strengthen the spiritual lives and testimonies of the members of the National Fraternity resulting in service and outreach to others.
To promote higher scholastic standards among the members of the National Fraternity.
To provide social fellowship among the university students living the Christian life and active in Christ's service.
Upon acceptance of a bid Sisters commit to following these thirteen membership requirements. They are:
History of the Beta Chapter
In 1929, Karin Anderson and Edith Bishop McAulay, Areta Alpha Chapter members and UCLA graduates, were attending the University of California at Berkeley as graduate students. On February 4, 1929, they organized the Beta Chapter.
In 1935, an alumnae chapter and Mother's Club were formed to encourage and support the Beta chapter. Both of these groups set up an Advisory Board to help with problem solving and to bring the body to common understandings.
At the National Convention of 1969 in Los Angeles, it was reported by a Beta alumna that there were no active chapter members. The National Board declared the chapter inactive at this time.
In the fall of 1978, a group of girls who were members of "Friends of Alpha Gamma Omega" chose to recharter the Beta Chapter. With the guidance of ten dedicated alumnae, these new chapters members were initiated in the winter of 1979.
History of Alpha Delta Chi
The founding chapter of Alpha Delta Chi was started at the University of California at Los Angeles in 1925.
The original founders were:
Alice Slingerland McEachern
Dora Marie Showalter-Goertz
Dorothea Harvey Schultz
Evelyn Kepple Kay
Marion Wright Madden
Ruth Umsted Ohly
Theta Slingerland Dean
Willard Crowder Clawson
The first annual convention of Alpha Delta Chi was held in Berkeley, California, on April 6-7, 1939. At this meeting the National Association of Areta and the National Executive and Advisory Board were formed. Areta, a Greek word meaning virtue and the original name of the National Fraternity, was changed to Alpha Delta Chi at the June 1943 National Convention. In 1946, under the leadership of National President Celestia Major Jasaitis, Alpha Delta Chi became incorporated under the laws of the State of California.